Topic: Requires libparted >= 1.7.1

A few simple questions:

I've got a 3.4TB raid setup at work that I want to create as a partition and format to ext3.

However, centos 4.4 (the OS i'm using, essentially RHEL 4 Update 4) comes with libparted 1.6.19. I thought of downloading parted 1.8.1 and installing (./configure, make, make install) that, yet gparted is still picking it up as 1.6.19.

* Is there a way to tell it to use the install of 1.8.1 (currently this is just under my test vmware setup, not on the main machine itself yet)
* Does the livecd support the 3ware 9650SE?  (it was only just added into kernel 2.6.19)

Re: Requires libparted >= 1.7.1

I know CentOS, and use it too (one btween others). It is the more stable distro i have ever seen, but ... the reason of stability is that you are often not able to update to devel packages !
I gonna try and i will tell you.
Any way, it a test i wanted to do, so ... time is coming smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

No, i guess you'd better use livecd.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

No, i guess you'd better use livecd.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

Well, i've been experimenting with parted.. it's so different to fdisk (which is why I was wanting to use gparted, pretty gui and easy to use.. no need to learn something new).. however fdisk craps out with large stuff like 3.4TB. (to my dismay)

Here's what i've learned:

* Never, NEVER install parted 1.8.1 if you have an older version lingering around like 1.6...  it craps out hard trying to do disk operations
* Yeah, compile advanced partition selection and EFI GUID Partition support into the kernel.. or else you'll be scratching your head wondering why when you try to mount the partition you created under parted with mklabel gpt it gives you the finger.

I guess this is something worth reading for other people if they come across the same problem.

BTW, keep up the good work on gparted.. although I haven't actually managed to get it working, it looks like a fine program.

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

* Never, NEVER install parted 1.8.1 if you have an older version lingering around like 1.6...  it craps out hard trying to do disk operations

That's the reason why you 'd better use tools like yum or yumex (rh based distro) or even apt-get which works very well with rh based too (and so faster !!!), to update libs , since it takes care of deps...
But you surely know all this wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:
EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

That's the reason why you 'd better use tools like yum or yumex (rh based distro) or even apt-get which works very well with rh based too (and so faster !!!), to update libs , since it takes care of deps...
But you surely know all this wink

I know, I got spoiled by portage on Gentoo.

Oh portage, how I miss you.