1 (edited by deception 2006-12-08 07:39:08)

Topic: Merging a Master with a Slave

Hi guys,

i'm still a newbie with partitioning. So here's what i like to find out from you guys.

I have 2 harddrives. I previously partitioned it using the Winxp DOS format/partition when i first installed my XP. And i got this: C:\(Master) D:\(Slave) E:\(Slave) F:\(Master) all of these are in NTFS

is it possible for me to merge the C: and D: drives together thus creating a new C:. and after achieving this will i be able to format and reinstall a new fresh WinXp into this new C:?

I haven tried using gparted yet cause i'm afraid i might break something in the process of testing.

Thanks.

Re: Merging a Master with a Slave

As you can read in the appropriate forum, this not yet implemented  : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=150

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

alright i've read that post.. since merging D: to C: with files intact is not available yet.
is it possible for me to merge D: to C: while forgoing the files within D: I don't need them anyway. and will the text mode formatting of winxp be able to use this new C:?

that would involve deleting one partition and growing the other...
Yep this would work and winXP will be able to use it.

can you somemore lead me to which s/w should i use? the 'Live' version or the normal one? and if also possible can you point me to some sort of documentation of doing this?

thanks

both are the same.. the difference is that the livecd is platformindependant, because it's a livecd and the normal gparted runs only on linux.

gparted is designed with ease of use in mind, so you shouldn't have any problems using it smile

that means i cannot use the normal gparted and gotta use the livecd instead.. thanks a lot for your assistance. if there's anymore further question may i PM you?

just use the forums so everyone can participate. They are checked on a daily basis.