Topic: Reallocating free space?

Hello,

First of all, a "well done" goes to those involved in GParted.

Now, to my problem...

I downloaded the .iso for the LiveCD and burned it successfully. I booted with it, and resized my two Windows (NTFS) partitions so as to add extra space to my main Linux partition (reiserfs, or so it says on GParted).

Now, I cannot seem to figure how to add the unallocated free space to the required Linux partition. Is this actually possible? If so, how? And/or what am I doing wrong?

Perhaps, the problem is that the unallocated free space is not adjacent to the partition I would like to enlarge? From the documentation I've surveyed it showed how to resize a partition with the unallocated free space adjacent to it.

Regards,
Ederico.

Re: Reallocating free space?

you are right, the unallocated space should be adjacent to the partition you want to enlarge. If this is not the situation right now you may have to move other partitions first.

Good, so at least I got that intuition right.

The "problem" I am experiencing is that I cannot position the unallocated free space adjacent to the partition I want to enlarge.

How do I move unallocated free space, do I have to merge it with other partitions adjacent to it? I cannot find an option to simply move the unallocated free space without merging it. And even without such a capability I cannot seem to be able to merge the unallocated free space taken from my Windows partitions (both NTFS, one is a Primary another is a Logical Drive in an Extended partition) and move them.

In order to put the free space adjacent to the Linux (reiserfs) partition which I desire to enlarge, I would have to enlarge the Linux SWAP Partition, which GParted doesn't allow me to it seems.

I will try and provide a screenshot of my HDD partitions on the reboot into the GParted LiveCD.

Thanks for the help, once again.

Ederico.

a screenshot of the current situation and a description of the desired situation would certainly help smile

What is the default saving location for screenshots taken through the LiveCD? I can't seem to find the screenshot I took. Sorry for the trouble.

Please, could you have a look at the docs ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Ok.

Ok, sorry if I'm late in posting the screenshot, but I hope that's not a problem.

Anyways, the screenshot I'm posting is actually of another system, and running GParted from the hard disk drive rather than from the LiveCD (although I also have a LiveCD). This system runs Ubuntu 6.10 (+ Windows XP Professional).

The "problem" I'm having is the same as the one mentioned above, I want to merge two partitions not adjacent to each other, but cannot seem to get to do this. Actually want I need to do is merge the unallocated space with another partition, having an ext3 filesystem. Unfortunately, my GParted is in Italian, I tried changing the language but didn't figure how. I hope you figure it out, as luckily the symbols and colours are identical.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9092/schermatagpartedaz5.th.png

Basically what I want to do is merge the unallocated space "non allocato" with dev/sda4. As I said, I can also use the LiveCD, instead I installed GParted on my hdd just to be able to take a screenshot quick (and to have the programme there just in case).

Hope you can help, and thanks beforehand for any further help offered.

Ederico.

okay !
Here is exactly what you need : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)