1 (edited by mfleetwo 2020-08-15 11:15:51)

Topic: How do I move unallocated space to grow FDE (Veracrypt)?

I have tried it from live usb stick , but for some partitions (P1, previous Windows recovery, that i have deleted) the move options are greyed out...the disk looks like: P1 (unallocated) --- P2 (UEFI) --- P3 (Windows system, encrypted). I'd like to merge P1 with P3...
Moving partitions should work independently from encryption, right? Why is everything greyed out for P1?

Would appreciate any help

Re: How do I move unallocated space to grow FDE (Veracrypt)?

Trying to move unallocated space on a disk drive is like asking how to I move empty space around my room to make my furniture move.  You don't move empty space, you move the furniture itself.

After deleting partition 1 it became unallocated (empty space) and the "Partition" is displayed as "unallocated", not "/dev/sda1".  You have to move existing partitions P2 and P3 instead.

NOTES:
1. GParted can move partitions containing data it doesn't recognise.
   (By design Veracrypt data is unrecognisable becuase it is meant to be indistinguishable from random data).
2. GParted can not grow a partition containing Veracrypt data.
3. Before moving encrypted data ensure that you have backup.  If something goes wrong with the move the encrypted data will be permanently lost.

Re: How do I move unallocated space to grow FDE (Veracrypt)?

Title changes from:
    move/merge partitions that have FDE (Veracrypt)?
to:
    How do I move unallocated space to grow FDE (Veracrypt)?