1 (edited by FERNDX 2020-04-23 06:36:17)

Topic: Can't resize boot partition with GParted

Hello. I have this problem. When I start Ubuntu I get the message: Disk space is low in boot/EFI. I searched for solutions to this and I found that I should erase the old kernels to free space in boot/EFI. I did that and I still get the message that disk space is low in boot/EFI. Then I tried to resize the boot partition with GParted. The boot partition is dev/sda1 and it's size was around 33MB. I enlarged the partition with 600MB of free space that were before it. But when I tried to enlarge it with GParted I got an error message. Then when running GParted again it appeared a warning sign next to the boot partition. I right-clicked the partition and then clicked on information. It said that I needed to enlarge the file system clicking the check partition option. I did that and I got an error.

Here is a screen shot of GParted screen:

https://i.imgur.com/HW7mveG.png

What I want now is to know how to enlarge the file system of the boot partition. The partition says it has a size of 660 MB and 32.52 MB are used. But it says it only has a free space of 959 KB.

I hope somebody could help me.

Re: Can't resize boot partition with GParted

Normally, check partition would grow the filesystem to fill the partition.
I see the partition appears locked. I guess you run GParted from Ubuntu installed on the disk in question. Perhaps the o.s. mounts the partition. You can try to unmount the partition /dev/sda1 or try to run Gparted Live (from a bootable cd or usb stick). GParted Live doesn't mount any disk partition by default.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Re: Can't resize boot partition with GParted

I ran GParted from an Ubuntu Live installation dvd. I checked that the boot partiton was unmounted, then I clicked on check partition and I still got an error.

Here is an screenshot of the partitions of my harddrive shown in GParted running from an Ubuntu Live installation dvd:

https://i.imgur.com/TRU0Vew.png