1 (edited by damtor 2018-12-27 06:21:00)

Topic: Editing default mkfs arguments

I got a new 6T hard drive for Christmas that will be used to store some
ripped Blu-Rays.    I know I'm going to have (relatively) few files that
are (relativel) large, approx 5G each.    Because of that, I know
I want to call mkfs.ext4 with "-T largefile4"

In the past, I've always used cfdisk and mkfs on the command line to partition
new hard drives. 

I thought I'd try out gparted for an easier interface.   I gave it a try,
but I couldn't see any way to change the default behavior of
of how mkfs is called.    So I went back to the command line to
do the job.

Is there any way I could have used gparted and somehow changed the
way mkfs was called (to include "-T largefile" as well as other arguments,
like "-m 0")?

Re: Editing default mkfs arguments

You might use GParted to create the partition and file system with default values.  Then after you could use the command line to manually reformat the partition with your choice of options.

gedakc wrote:

You might use GParted to create the partition and file system with default values.  Then after you could use the command line to manually reformat the partition with your choice of options.

I don't believe inode density is tuneable.   In other words, the inode density is set when the filesystem
is created.   Once that's done, you can't change it: you have to delete the filesystem and then
create a new one (with the options you want).

If I'm wrong, please explain how one could change the inode density on an existing filesystem
using the command line.     I certainly would like to be able to do that if it's possible.

My suggestion is to reformat the file system by running the applicable mkfs command with the options you desire.  This will create a new file system in the partition, thereby destroying the previously created file system created with GParted.  As long as the file system type is the same, then the partition table will contain the correct information for the file system.