Topic: Unallocated space within partition on new PC Ubuntu preinstalled

I've just bought a new PC with Ubuntu pre-installed and find that sda1 has 815.12 GiB of unallocated space within the partition, apart from two other unassigned spaces at the end of 57.67 and 38.28 GB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1NAy … W1fVklXQkk

I don't quite know what to do with it; I would like a separate data partition and another partition for possibly later installing another OS.

Do I have to grow the file system before downsizing it (as gparted suggests) and then create new partitions? Or do I downsize it straight away? What about the unassigned ones at the end?

Re: Unallocated space within partition on new PC Ubuntu preinstalled

It seems that the partition /dev/sda1 is 869.93 GiB big, but the file system ext4 in it is much smaller (it doesn't fill the partition). To fill the entire partition, you can use the GParted "Checking" operation (look for this in the GParted Manual, in that link).

Another solution would be to shrink the first primary partition and use the unallocated space for another primary partition, or two (4 primary partitions in maximum are allowed on the hard drive, included the extended partition).

The unallocated space at the right end of the hard drive space (38.39 MiB, not GiB) is very small, you could leave it as it is or you can take it by resizing the extended partition end border. However, have in mind that it is better to leave at least 1 MiB free at the end (this is needed in case you change into GPT in the future).

57.67 GiB is unallocated but included in the extended partition /dev/sda2. You can leave it there and make a new logical partition or even more, for data partitions and/or other o.s. installation. In this case, have in mind that you can install GNU Linux distributions in both primary or logical partitions, but if you plan to install microsoft windows you need a primary partition for this.

In order to make a decision about the new partitioning scheme, you have to look for the needs of the distributions you plan to install. There is no need for separate swap space for each distribution, as you can use the existing one by all of them. However you need separate system partitions. If you plan to install more Linux distributions, you could consider to grow the extended partition. You can make up to 10 logical partitions, but only 2 more primary ones (/dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4).

A final remark: to make these partition modifications, you can't work from the already installed Ubuntu, because you have to modify the working / locked partitions. You can do it more easily by using the GParted Live (CD or USB stick). Please, use the latest stable version.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Re: Unallocated space within partition on new PC Ubuntu preinstalled

class413, you have been very helpful and I have a lot to think about :-) Meantime, I already have the Live GParted CD ready. Thank you very much.