1 (edited by infottnm 2016-06-03 14:35:16)

Topic: Undo "partition table function"

hello everyone..  Plese concern this is as emergency

I booted up the PC with gparted live USB and accidently  I clicked on "New Partition table"  with my HDD selected. 
Then i didn't do anything except shutdown the pc. 

After shut down,  PC IS NOT BOOTING which make me big trouble.. 

Then i booted again with gparted live USB and the my HDD displays as below picture..

http://i.imgur.com/5629FEw.jpg

Windows 10

Please help me to undo this..  I couldn't backed up my project files..

I googled some solutions and found test disk can solve the problem..  But I don’t know how to and can't take another risk.

Re: Undo "partition table function"

New partition table erases the existing partition table. The software gives then a warning message and requires a confirmation for this operation.

It is possible to use "testdisk", trying to restore the old partition table. Very probably, the partition table was a GPT (for windows 10), that is supported by testdisk. Of course, there is no warranty that it always works but it is very often successful. You can find testdisk in the gparted live usb, or in its own live provided by its web page (cgsecurity.org). You can find a short tutorial there.

The safest way to proceed would be to make a clone copy of the hard drive, to be able to restore it is case of problem.

To restore files, it is possible to use "photorec", however it is better to try the partition recovery first, as photorec provides files without names or directory structure.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***