1 (edited by curt.lankford 2016-03-02 11:53:47)

Topic: Server 2003 Standard (32bit) won't boot after gparted

I obviously have done something horribly wrong.  I HAD a Dell PowerEdge 2800 running an SQL database that ran out of disk space on the D: raid.  I used Gparted to "steal" a couple of gigs from the boot drive (C:) and expand the Data drive.  When I finished, it complained that a 64bit application was trying to run on the 32bit OS and would not boot.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?  Upon reboot, on the boot partition, it looks like it compressed the boot partition to less than I configured.  It has a yellow triangle with an asterisk in it.  It shows no disk space available and no disk space used.  It says to run chkdsk /f and then reboot twice.  But if you can't get it to boot, how do you run chkdsk on two raids, class 1 and class 5?

Help!

Re: Server 2003 Standard (32bit) won't boot after gparted

The version of Gparted I used was 0.25.0-3-i686

3 (edited by curt.lankford 2016-03-02 15:15:58)

If I try to run Chkdsk /F using the Gparted program, it errors out and says it CAN'T read the data on that partition.

I saved the settings before I began the two Gparted sessions.  Is it possible to back the changes out using those saved settings?

You can try to run the chkdsk /F command from the Server 2003 installation dvd/cd. Look for a command line option named "Recovery Console". You have to login as administrator. If you previously installed the Recovery Console on the computer, you can do it at startup.
This microsoft documentation page lists the Recovery console commands.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***