Topic: How to Add ntfsprogs to Bootable Flash Drive

I need to clone a hard drive that is 3 NTFS partitions. I have a bootable Gparted flash drive but the NTFS functions are all grayed out. My research indicates I need to have ntfsprogs installed. Unfortunately I can't find anything that tells me how to add that to a bootable flash. I have ntfsprogs source and did the 'make' on my CentOS system but how do I get them installed on the flash drive? TIA.

Re: How to Add ntfsprogs to Bootable Flash Drive

The GParted Live image contains all the necesssary file system packages including ntfsprogs.

If GParted shows the functions as grayed out, then it is likely that there is an exclamation mark shown beside the ntfs partition in GParted.  Double-clicking on the partition will bring up a dialog box with some text indicating the error.

With ntfs, the most common issue we've seen is that Windows was not shut down properly and hence the ntfs file system is left in an inconsistent state.  To fix this, boot into Windows and run "chkdsk /f /r" on the drive.  Be sure to shutdown Windows properly (Start -> Shutdown) before booting GParted Live.

No exclamation mark and double clicking does nothing. However, I have a copy of Haren's which has a full GParted Live on it so this problem is now moot. Thanks anyway.

Double clicking the partition in GParted is equivalent to selecting the partition and choosing "Partition -> Information".  Perhaps you had a very old version of GParted???

The current release is 0.24.0.