Topic: Creating RAID with GParted

So, I have two 3.TB drives.  Ubuntu latest LTS Ubuntu.

So, I installed both 3TB drives and used GParted to attempt to create a 2-Drive RAID.

So, GParted formatted and set up one of the drives as /dev/sdb1 (file system linux-RAID) (no label) consisting of device ac046689-6e83-36d8-9931-6aa9608d03d7.

So, then GParted  shows the second drive as /dev/sdc1 ext4 (no label) consisting of device 4b59e38f-f9d0-407a-8828-5f7f30c21d51

So, then Gparted shows /dev/md0p1 ext4 (label RAID) consisting of device 364c038c-6b85-4601-aab2-2466a5c127d3

So then, attempts to reformat /dev/sdc1 from ext to linux-RAID cannot be done as there is no choice in the GParted choices to do so.

My requirement is very simple:  make a RAID from these two 3TB drives without losing the data present on /dev/sdb1

Request Your Assistance.

Your cooperation and assistance will be appreciated.

Dave

2 (edited by mfleetwo 2015-08-24 20:30:52)

Re: Creating RAID with GParted

Hi Dave,

GParted is not able to create or modify Linux Software RAID arrays so can't help with your request.

I searched for the following and the results looked like they would help with your request.

linux raid mirror existing drive

Mike

Update:
I have just found http://raider.sourceforge.net/ which looks like it will do what you need.

N.B.  If you care about your data you should have backups, especially when doing actions like these.

Re: Creating RAID with GParted

As Mike said, GParted does not support creating Linux RAID.  It does, however support operations on the partitions within a Linux RAID.

With that being said, it sounds like you are trying to create the RAID.  A while back I set up RAID on my MythTV PVR by setting up one side of the mirror, and then synchronizing the other side of the mirror.  The tutorial I wrote is available at: Setting Up RAID and Migrating MythTV Recordings.  At the end of the tutorial there are links to other resources that describe migrating from one drive to a RAID.