Topic: Use GParted for Complicated Resizing of Files

Hello:

Can you please help me with the following problem on how to have GParted move/resize files.  I will first try to explain it with a crude sketch and words.   If that doesn't work, I will try to attach a figure of what Gparted shows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |             |           |                                                                              |             |                              |   |
|   A    |      B     |    C    |                                    D                                      |       E    |           F                |
|          |             |           |                                                                             |              |                              |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

1. Filesystems A, B, and C are too small (/,  /usr, and /var), and I need to make them bigger

2.  Filesystem D (/home)  can be made smaller

3,  Filesystems  E and F are ok.

Can you please provide advice on how to use GParted to fix this problem.  I can't perform an upgrade on my Debian system because of the size issues.

Thanks so much.

Kind regards,

Angelo

Re: Use GParted for Complicated Resizing of Files

The most important thing would be to first ensure that you have a good backup of all of the information on this drive.  After that it will several moves and resizes to accomplish your goal to free up some space from the D: drive and then shift this space to be adjacent to the partitions you wish to grow.

See also Moving Space between Partitions.