Topic: GParted USB freezes/locks at boot menu

I just bought a 1TB drive to replace my 500GB drive that I believe was on the cusp of starting to fail.  On the drive is Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows Vista wedged in between the Ubuntu Linux partition on the left and Linux swap on the right, but all of it crammed in to the first 500 GB of the 1TB drive.  Used dd for the cloning, seemed to work pretty flawlessly far as I can tell.  Ultimately I really want to move the swap to the end of the drive, move the ntfs/Vista partition "over" more to the right and expand it and then expand the Linux partition.  For reference, currently the drive looks like this:

http://s24.postimg.org/sfprgvqrp/Screen … _15_44.png

Anyway none of that seems to matter at the moment, because I can't get GParted Live on USB past the boot menu screen.  The computer seems to lock up when it hits that screen.  In an I'm-sure-this-isn't-coincidental coincidence, the Clonezilla Live USB freezes my computer also at the exact same boot menu screen (which looks similar).  I'm using a brand-new USB stick (and tried a different stick just to be sure with the same results), using the latest amd64 (I'm using an AMD Phenom CPU) .iso unpacked into the stick and set as bootable.  And I do get to the boot screen where I am supposed to be able to select GParted to run (or Tab for options or auto boot in 30 seconds).  The auto timer is stuck at 30, Tab doesn't work, arrow keys, enter keys don't work.  It's just frozen.  My motherboard is an ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe with what I believe is the last available Bios.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  If I can provide additional information that would help diagnose what's happening I'd be happy to do so.

Jim

Re: GParted USB freezes/locks at boot menu

As you might already know, the GParted Live image is built in a similar manner and by the same person who builds the Clonezilla Live image.  Both of these images are based on Debian Live.

Have you tried the most recent images in the Testing directory?

If not, would you be able to try the most recent ones?

gedakc wrote:

As you might already know, the GParted Live image is built in a similar manner and by the same person who builds the Clonezilla Live image.  Both of these images are based on Debian Live.

Have you tried the most recent images in the Testing directory?

If not, would you be able to try the most recent ones?

Latest amd64 test build, same symptom--hard freeze (seemingly) at boot menu.  Any thoughts or possible alternatives?  Thanks much for your help.

4 (edited by gedakc 2013-10-15 19:02:53)

Thank you for re-testing.  I will bring this to the attention of our Live Image maintainer who also creates the Clonezilla Live image.

EDIT:
In the meantime you might try using GParted from another up-to-date Live distribution such as System Rescue CD.

Thanks for this bug report. Both Curtis and I confirmed this issue.
Apparently syslinux 5.10 does not work on some machines. Both of us found it has issue with Acer Aspire One.
Just did a test about syslinux 6.02 and it worked. I will upgrade the booting program in the next release.

Steven.

Awesome!  I am glad to have helped and much appreciate that you looked into it.

In the interim, I was able to load a full version of Ubuntu 13.04 onto my USB stick so I could get into GParted to modify the partitions on my hard drive as I described above (and as pictured in the link).  However I am definitely also stuck in that process even right at the beginning, as I seem to be struggling to get the swap partition moved to the "right" side of the drive space.  Is this forum or an adjacent forum a good place to get some hands-on advice about how to adjust my partitions the way I'd like?

However I am definitely also stuck in that process even right at the beginning, as I seem to be struggling to get the swap partition moved to the "right" side of the drive space.  Is this forum or an adjacent forum a good place to get some hands-on advice about how to adjust my partitions the way I'd like?

It is better to open a new thread in this forum, with a title related to the specific issue.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413 wrote:

However I am definitely also stuck in that process even right at the beginning, as I seem to be struggling to get the swap partition moved to the "right" side of the drive space.  Is this forum or an adjacent forum a good place to get some hands-on advice about how to adjust my partitions the way I'd like?

It is better to open a new thread in this forum, with a title related to the specific issue.

Yes, the problem is most likely related to a partition in use as the Ubuntu Live CD activates the swap partition.  To work around this you must first deactivate the swap partition so that you can resize/move it.

Ysaric wrote:

Awesome!  I am glad to have helped and much appreciate that you looked into it.

Thanks! This issue was fixed in GParted live 0.16.2-9:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted … /0.16.2-9/
It uses syslinux/isolinux 6.2 so I am able to boot that on Acer Aspire One, which I was not able to boot with 0.16.2-6.
Please let us know the results. Thanks.

Steven.

I just tested the gparted-live-0.16.2-11-i486.iso image and it successfully boots on my Acer Aspire One (ZG5) netbook. smile