1 (edited by vx 2013-01-31 17:21:12)

Topic: [SOLVED] Partition 'unknown' after canceled resize/move operation

I messed up my NTFS storage partition and need help really bad.
Initially I had 2 partitions: a 50GB Windows (boot) partition, some unallocated space (15GB) and a 400GB NTFS partition for data storage.
My idea was to enlarge my second NTFS partition by extending it to the left and using up the unallocated space. A few seconds after I started the operation in GParted I saw an estimated time of several hours and pressed cancel. I expected GParted to undo all previous actions and revert the partitions to the original state. Instead, it just aborted the operation and now I've got a 415GB partition of 'unknown' type (see screenshot)

What now? I guess first off I need to back up the 'unknown' partition to an external HDD in case I mess up during the recovery process. How do I do that? Should I dd the entire drive or create an image with some app?

http://i46.tinypic.com/mrzn2g.png

Re: [SOLVED] Partition 'unknown' after canceled resize/move operation

Canceling a resizing/moving operation can be dangerous for the file system consistency, that's why we don't recommend it unless there is a backup of the data.
However, if you cancelled the operation very early, it is possible that this was in a first simulation phase, before the "real" data move operation. In this case, it is often possible to restore the entire partition content with testdisk.

Please, note that moving or expanding a partition to the left can be much longer that doing the same to the right. 

If you could post here the GParted detail file, it would be possible to locate more accurately when the brake occured. These data are kept in RAM and are lost after reboot.

I would suggest to try testdisk, a free software that is able to analyse the drive content to detect partition entries and eventually restore them.
testdisk is included in the GParted livecd, as well as in its own cd from the web site.
In that web site you will find related info and tutorials.
If this isn't successful, you can try file recovery with the free photorec or various commercial programs.

To make a copy of the actual drive status, you can use the dd command for the entire drive (/dev/sda) or some of the free programs listed in the GParted live web page.
It is better to keep backup copy of the entire hard drive rather that the partition in question only.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413, thank you for the fast reply!

I canceled the operation no more than 5 sec. after I clicked apply. If what you're saying is true I may be in luck.

I'll dd /dev/sda to an external drive and try to read up on testdisk and how to use it. I'll keep posted!

class413 - Thank you once again for pointing me to the right direction!!!
I recovered the entire lost partition without any problems. I followed the step by step TestDisk tutorial and the program was able recognize and fix all the data. Phew!

Good news!
If the problem is solved, you can edit your initial post to add [SOLVED] to the thread's title.

I would insist that a good practice is to take regular backups of important material. It is much easier and safer to restore a backup than trying file recovery.
Hardware failure could occur at any moment, even on a brand new disk.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***