1 (edited by jmfrogman 2011-11-10 23:35:59)

Topic: [SOLVED]Resizing Raid Partition

I have used several versions of the GParted program and love it, but I have never used it to re-size a RAID partition. Any insight would be appreciated. Here is the setup:

2 80GB drives as RAID1
Multiple Partitions
Windows Server 2k3 OS

I need to shrink one partition, re-size the extended partition, and increase the primary partition.

When I start GParted and run the Partition Editor I see the following:

/dev/dm-0  74.53GB
/dev/sda    74.53GB
/dev/sdb    74.53GB

Which device(s) do I need to make my changes to?

Re: [SOLVED]Resizing Raid Partition

The RAID device would be /dev/dm-0.  The devices /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are the two individuals drives that make up the RAID.

Hence any changes you make to the RAID should be made to /dev/dm-0.   smile

gedakc wrote:

The RAID device would be /dev/dm-0.  The devices /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are the two individuals drives that make up the RAID.

Hence any changes you make to the RAID should be made to /dev/dm-0.   smile

gedak,

Thanks for the response, that's what I had been thinking but needed confirmation. I will keep you posted on the results.

gedack,

Well we have good and bad news. The raid (dev/dm-0) shows the changes that I have made  smile , but the primary sda is foobared  sad .
It re-sized the partitions but hosed the primary OS partition. 174 errors pertaining to "Clusters referenced multiple times". I have already booted the system and ran chkdsk /f on the partition then re-booted several more times with no luck.

Is it possible at this time to clone dev/sdb to dev/sda without screwing up the raid dev/dm-0?

jmfrogman wrote:

Is it possible at this time to clone dev/sdb to dev/sda without screwing up the raid dev/dm-0?

That depends on the type of RAID.  With a mirrored RAID this might be possible.  With a striped RAID this would not work.

Thanks for the response.

This is a mirrored RAID, and at this point I have nothing to loose. If the drive is beyond repair, I would have to make sdb my primary drive and rebuild the RAID anyway. I'll keep you posted.

jmfrogman wrote:

Thanks for the response.

This is a mirrored RAID, and at this point I have nothing to loose. If the drive is beyond repair, I would have to make sdb my primary drive and rebuild the RAID anyway. I'll keep you posted.

So the final result...RAID was already trashed before I began. I was able to re-size the RAID1 partitions using gparted, but have had several issues with the CHS of the two physical drives. This is possibly an issue before I started. I have removed the RAID1 and recreated it but when the OS starts I get several "Registry Hive is Already in 1 Fragment" messages. The Win2K3 Server boots, shows the OS partition correctly, but I can't get any of the other partitions to show. At this point I am going to delete the RAID, disconnect one of the drives, set the BIOS to boot w/o a RAID, and see what happens.

Gedakc, thanks again for your assistance!

Thank you for reporting back with your findings.   smile