1 (edited by caffn8d 2010-11-13 23:02:25)

Topic: [Solved] Error loading operating system after resize/move

I have a Windows 2003 server that I just finished using Gparted on.  I shrunk and moved one partition to the end of the disk, and then expanded the first partition to use the extra space.  I received a message that I might need to fix the MBR after doing this, so I didn't panic when I first got this message on boot: "Error loading operating system".  I simply went into the Windows Recovery console, and did a fixboot.  That didn't resolve it, so I then did a fixmbr.  Still, nothing.  I then went into Testdisk, and rebuilt the MBR from there.  I still get the same error.  Thoughts?  I can still access the Windows installation through the recovery console, but can't get the machine to boot correctly no matter what I try.

Summary-

D: NTFS partition decreased in size from 14gb to 12gb, then moved to end of disk.
C: NTFS boot partition expanded into the newly free 2gb of space.
All done as one operation.

More information:
TestDisk is showing the following information for the partitions:

* HPFS - NTFS    0     1     1       648   160 24    10420161
P HPFS - NTFS    648 160 25     2212 254 63    25131614

Is this a valid structure?  Seems like the primary should start at 649 since boot ends at 648.

RESOLUTION: Looks like I was on to something with the TestDisk results.  Used it to delete the second partition, and it booted like a charm.  Not sure why Gparted overlapped the partitions like that, but thankfully it's not a big deal for me to rebuild that.
--
Mike

Re: [Solved] Error loading operating system after resize/move

It is good to hear that you were able to resolve the problem.

To determine if the partitions were overlapping or not, you really need to see the partition table by sectors, not blocks (i.e., fdisk -l -u).