Topic: XP won't boot after partition resize

Using Gparted, I resized my main XP partition.  After doing so, it will no longer boot.

I tried to follow the tutorial (http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13937) but could not make sense of it. 

Here is the error I'm getting when I run "check" on my XP partition:

check file system on /dev/sda1 for errors and (if possible) fix them

ntsfresize -P -i -f -v /dev/sda1

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
$MFT has invalid magic.
ntfs_mft_load(): Failed.
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error.
Failed to startup volume: Input/output error.
ERROR(S): Opening '/dev/sda1' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.

I tried running the chkdsk /f in Windows Recovery, and gave me an error message.  I also tried running fixmbr and fixboot, with no success either.

I began following the tutorial linked above, but got confused as to how I was supposed to ascertain the current location of my pbr.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: XP won't boot after partition resize

For reference,  my fdisk -l -u:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/e732045b25d61a32faef7f2f126f81d22g.jpg

And my parted /dev/sda unit s print output:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f97eceb6d43d882d61c3cb5683dee9302g.jpg

Sorry, a few more bits of information that might be useful:

The partition in question is /dev/sda1

The problem came about when I deleted an old Windows 7 partition that was adjacent to the XP partition.  I then expanded the size of the XP partition to occupy the newly freed space.

Thanks again!

4 (edited by gedakc 2010-03-14 02:26:56)

I suspect that when Windows 7 was installed, it took over the boot process.  When this was deleted, Windows XP could no longer boot.

Assuming you only want to boot Windows XP, you could try booting from the Windows XP install disks and issuing the following repair commands:

bootcfg /repair
fixboot
fixmbr

These above commands will only get Windows XP to boot.  Any other operating systems on the drive will not boot.

You will have to reinstall grub or another boot loader if you wish to have more than one operating system to boot.

Unfortunately when I ran bootcfg /rebuild I got the following error message:

"Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations.  This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors"

Upon running chkdsk, I got the following message:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Is there anything else I can do, or do I need to start over from scratch with a fresh install?

Good question.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

Good day!

I think it has to do with the Volume size VS device size problem. Lost temporarily a hard drive after resizing an NTFS partition, no Windows tool was able to fix the problem.

But found a solution in my old collection of 1.44 disquettes, a Partition Magic 6.0 with Win 98 DOS starting disquette (set of 2 disquettes). As soon as Partition Magic analysed the hard drive, it told me that there was a discrepancy between the SH and CH values in the MBR, and suggested to fix it, so i answered yes ,and "Voilà!!!!" , I was able to check the partition when rebooting the hard drive and got back the system as if nothing happened.

Many times in the past, for as long as i can remember, i always got that kind of message about SH and CH discrepancy with Partition Magic after a Parted usage, but i was not preventing Windows from booting then. The recent versions of Parted seems to be worst than before and some serious work should be done about this SH versus CH issue.

Hope this help you.